Saturday, October 24, 2009

Bean and Pasta Soup

Sorry I haven't posted anything in a while I was in the hospital for a few days getting a little tune up.
I will be going to New Orleans next week for a much needed vacation so I will post some of my fab food finds when I return. I am also working on my favorite Thanksgiving Recipes since the holiday is fastly approaching. But on to the new recipe...

This recipe I found from everyone's favorite "Susy Homemaker" Martha Stewart. I took no time at all for a big pot of soup. One thing I changed in my soup was the type of pasta I used. I only had ABC small pasta but it turned out great. It only took about 30 mins. to make so it could be a fast week night meal.


1 strip bacon, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cans (15 ounces each) beans, such as navy or cannellini, drained and rinsed
4 cups reduced-sodium canned chicken broth
3/4 cup tubetti, ditalini, or other short, tubular pasta
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

In a Dutch oven or stockpot, cook bacon over medium heat until browned and crisp, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
Add onion and carrots; cook until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and rosemary; cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
Stir in tomato paste, beans, broth, and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, until soup has thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.
With a potato masher, mash some of the beans (still in pot) to thicken soup. Add pasta; cook until al dente, about 10 minutes.
To serve, ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with parsley.
Serves 6

1 comment:

  1. Cody would love this soup! WWTD-can I add meat and if so what kind?

    ReplyDelete